Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Problem With Getting Old....

Unfortunately, getting old is not preventable.  It just happens to us all.  When we are young, we can't wait to be *older* for many reasons.  But what is so sad and frustrating is that we remain young at heart but no one can see that.  It's not something that can be seen.  It is only felt.  That old person in the mirror isn't US!  No, no, no.  Sad but true.  We must face the fact that we are NOT as young as we feel at heart.

We are trapped inside a body that is suffering from old age.  It means we have health issues, aches and pains, problems with our bladder and bowel as well as all the wrinkles and hair that betrays the young person that is trapped in a body that is rapidly headed towards our doom.  

Climbing stairs  or walking any distance can be a real problem because we lose strength and endurance.   We become one of those old folks we use to feel sorry for when we were young and healthy.  We never identified with them because *we* were never going to get old.....not like *that*!  Were we dumb or not?

You never think that you might not be around to see those grandchildren or great-grandchildren graduate from high school, go to college, get married and have children of their own.  That's a hard fact to face when your heart is young but not your body.  It betrays you.  

You lose aunts, uncles, parents....even friends that are the same age.... to that dark unknown that we call death.  You may have expected to lose some of those people you love because they were *old* but you never expected to really join their ranks and BE old, too.  We all must face the fact that we will not be here forever.  At some point, our bodies will fail and we will breathe our last breath.  The best we can hope for is that we will live on in someone's memory and be missed.  I hope that I am a good memory for the people that *I* love who will remain behind.  It makes my heart hurt to think that I won't be here for some of the wonderful (or hurtful) things that will happen to them.  I won't be able to show them that they are (or were) loved.  I won't be able to comfort them when they need it.  

We don't get a book of instructions on how to raise children to be great adults.  Or how to comfort those that have hearts that are broken.  We just do the best we can with what we know from our own experience and hope that we can help or offer some kind of comfort to them.  I think that's kind of sad.  The very best you can expect is that they are happy and know they were loved by you.  That is a legacy that is irreplaceable.    Okay, enough of being maudlin.  

My bff, Carol, informed me that she is sending me some protein drinks that she hopes I enjoy.  The flavor is called *Frosty Chocolate* and she has not tasted them but says the comments she read were good ones.  She wants me to get healthy and feel good and I love her for that.  She has such a great heart.  I really love her to the moon and back.  I feel like I have known her all my life and we have never met in person.  We've just spent the last few years, since we met online, chatting or talking on the phone about everything.  

We talked about our lives, our loved ones, our health problems....anything and everything.  We share a lot of things in common, which was kind of shocking.  But it's nice to connect and be able to understand what someone is going through.  To offer comfort and even share a few laughs with someone who has no agenda or anything to prove.  I wish someone like her in everyone's life.  It's a true joy. 

It was an icky kind of day today.  Warm but storm threatening.  Some of what we could have experienced from the horrible weather our area of the country had today passed us by.  For that, I am thankful.  I stayed in my pj's all day....LOL.  I made us dinner tonight (fish, stuffing and cole slaw) and it tasted wonderful.  I'm glad that I felt good today because the Beast had an incredible headache and barely did anything he didn't have to because of it.  He gets those on occasion.  I think it's because of his eye problem.  He pushes himself too much sometimes.

I fell asleep around 8:30 or so and woke up around 1:30am.  I decided I needed to get this post done and so here it is.  Love you all.  I'm heading back to bed now.  ***Hugs***

No comments:

Post a Comment